Ethical Guidelines & Policies
IEEE conference organizers are expected to demonstrate a high degree of professionalism and ethical conduct. IEEE has developed the following ethical standards for IEEE members, volunteers, and staff.
Jump to a Topic:
- IEEE Event Conduct & Safety Statement for Conferences
- IEEE Code of Conduct
- IEEE Code of Ethics
- Publishing Ethics
- IEEE TechEthics
- IEEE Global Initiative for Ethical Considerations in Artificial Intelligence and Autonomous Systems
- IEEE Ethics Reporting Line
- Compliance-Related Policies
- Legal and Compliance Department
IEEE Event Conduct and Safety Statement for Conferences
Share the IEEE Event Conduct and Safety Statement at your next event.
IEEE Code of Conduct
The IEEE Code of Conduct describes IEEE members’ and staff’s commitment to the highest standards of integrity, responsible behavior, and ethical and professional conduct.
- IEEE Code of Conduct (PDF, 57 KB)
IEEE Code of Ethics
The IEEE Code of Ethics has been in existence since the merger with AIEE and IRE in 1963. Every IEEE member agrees to abide by the IEEE Constitution, Code of Ethics, Bylaws and Policies when joining.
The IEEE Author Center is a good resource for ethical guidelines in scientific publishing.
IEEE TechEthics provides a platform for addressing ethical and societal implications across a variety of technology areas.
The IEEE Global Initiative on Ethics of Autonomous and Intelligent Systems
The purpose of this Initiative is to ensure every technologist is educated, trained, and empowered to prioritize ethical considerations in the design and development of autonomous and intelligent systems.
IEEE Ethics Reporting Line
Reports of violations, or concerns regarding potential violations, of IEEE Policies or the IEEE Code of Conduct can be filed anonymously through EthicsPoint at +1-888-359-6323 or by submitting an online report.
Compliance Related Polices
- IEEE Policies (PDF, 1.86 MB)
- Anti-Boycott Policy (12.12)
- Anti-Bribery and Corruption Policy (12.13)
- Antitrust and Fair Competition Policy (12.10)
- Civility Policy (9.25)
- Computer Policy (9.28)
- Economic Sanctions and Embargoes Policy (12.11)
- Gifts (9.9)
- IEEE Records Management Policy Statement (12.8)
- IEEE Social Media Policy (9.27)
- Whistleblower and Non-Retaliation Policy (9.10)
- View the IEEE Principles of Business Conduct and Conflict of Interest
Legal & Compliance Department
Find information on the Legal and Compliance Department website to understand the function of the Department as well as important information related to IEEE and its compliance programs.