Congratulations on your leadership role in organizing an IEEE conference. As a Conference Treasurer or Finance Chair, the organization has entrusted you with a very important responsibility in the name of advancing IEEE’s mission.
As a Treasurer, you can think of yourself as the CFO of your conference. Like all good CFOs, you’ll want to ensure that you’re achieving two critical objectives above all:
- Driving your conference to achieve its financial goals and
- Ensuring alignment with relevant legal and financial regulations, IEEE policies, and best business practices
In serving as Treasurer, you’ll be tasked with doing a number of different activities for the event. Those may include:
- Developing a conference budget
- Setting up a bank account
- Collecting and reconciling registration
- Review contracts and
- Ensure tax compliance
- Track transactions and collect supporting documents
- Close your conference
- Prepare for an audit
While this may seem like a long list, the MCE Business Operations team is here to assist you in making the process as efficient as possible. Each financially-sponsored conference is designated an analyst to help guide them through the conference financial process.
To get you started: