Look for Accessible Conference Locations
When selecting a conference location, ask the facility manager about accessibility. Most venues have solutions available to accommodate guests with special needs.
Be sure to look for the following:
- Availability of disabled parking located close to the major entrance
- A graded or flat entrance
- Proximity of accessible washrooms to your meeting space
- Strategically placed signage
- Accessible sleeping areas
- Elevators with Braille or floor-calling ability
- Availability of a TTY (telephone or telephone typewriter) unit and kit available for people with hearing loss
All areas should have space for individuals with wheelchairs and other mobility devices, but a few particularly important areas to be mindful of are:
- Registration area
- Meeting rooms
- Exhibition halls
- Dining facilities
Include preparations for individuals with disabilities in your emergency and evacuation plans. They may not hear announcements or may need extra time or help to evacuate a room or building.